Thank you for your interest in becoming a Lower Mainland Humane Society (LMHS) foster parent! We are always in need of loving, responsible fosters; the more foster homes we have, the more dogs we can save from abuse, neglect, and even death. We also rely on our foster homes to give us a clear picture of our dogs’ temperaments to ensure they are placed in homes congruent with their individual needs. We rescue a large variety of dogs that are suitable for placement in many different households: single-person and family homes, houses and apartments, urban and country living. If you would like to apply to foster one of our dogs, please fill out our Foster Application.
If approved as a foster home for LMHS, we will provide you with the following:
- A dog!*
- Food (although we welcome your donations if you would like to contribute food yourself)
- Medication, if and when necessary
- Collar and leash
- Arrangements/payment for services rendered by our regular veterinarians**
- Ongoing communication and support
If you have any questions about fostering, please contact us.
* If you decide to adopt your foster dog, LMHS requires payment of the full adoption fee. Unfortunately, adoption fees are our only source of funding and for that reason, are non-negotiable. Also, out of fairness to potential adopters, adoptions cannot be stopped in-progress. Please advise us as soon as possible if you decide you’d like to keep your foster dog forever!
** All veterinary visits must be PRE-APPROVED by LMHS (except for emergency situations, i.e. hit by a car). We have a number of clinics we work with on a regular basis from whom we receive reduced rates. If for some reason a dog is taken to a vet without notifying LMHS, foster parent is entitled to reimbursement equal to the rate charged by one of our preferred vets.